2017 might not be a fruitful year for the biggest stars of Bollywood as some of their highly anticipated films fell flat at the box office, but it surely was a blockbuster year for several supporting actors. Be it in small-budgeted films or highly invested ventures, supporting actors successfully left their mark. While some gave the leading men a run for their money, others completely outshined the lead actors. Here is the list of top 10 best supporting actors of 2017 that successfully left a mark in the not so fruitful year.
1. Saurabh Shukla: The ‘Jolly LLB’ franchise is incomplete without this gentleman. Shukla as Justice Sunderlal Tripathi in ‘Jolly LLB 2’ completely outperformed Annu Kapoor, who played the public prosecutor in the movie. His quirky, sharp and lovely character was loved by the audiences and the movie became a superhit.
2. Meher Viz: Meher Viz in ‘Secret Superstar’ played the role of a supporting mother to Insia Malik (Zaira Wasim). Her strong role of a mother towards her aspiring daughter filled the eyes of the viewers with tears. Her fight for her daughter was praised by all. Hers was one of the most successful supporting characters of 2017.
3. Mohammed Zeeshan Ayyub: In ‘Raees’, Mohammed Zeeshan played the role of Sadiq, Shah Rukh’s best friend since his childhood. Though the movie was whole and sole based on SRK, Zeeshan stole the show in the way he portrayed and showcased his friendship with Raees. With his performance in the film, the talented actor again proved that no other actor can play the best friend’s role better than him.
4. Ratna Pathak Shah: Ratna Pathak Shah doesn’t appear in movies very often, but her portrayal of Usha Bua aka Miss Rosy in ‘Lipstick Under My Burkha’ was praiseworthy. Pathak’s role of a mid-aged woman who decides to fulfill her sexual desires is a strong character, which still is considered as taboo in many parts of the nation. Though the movie was full of gloom, her character was full of life and won many hearts.
5. Pankaj Tripathi: Pankaj Tripathi appeared in this year’s India’s official entry to Oscars, ‘Newton’. Though the center of the attraction was Rajkummar Rao, Tripathi with an ease proved his mettle in the critically acclaimed film. His role of Assistant Commandant Aatma Singh was raw, fierce and commendable. The share of words between him and Rajkummar showcased the class what the actor has. His performance was no lesser brilliant than the lead character in the movie.
6. Seema Pahwa: The veteran Seema Pahwa did two movies this year and both became critically and commercially successful. Her portrayal of the mother of the leading ladies in both ‘Bareilly Ki Barfi’ and ‘Shubh Mangal Saavdhan’ outperformed all the other supporting casts. The quirky, funny and typical motherly nature of Pahwa was by far one of the best roles of her career.
7. Konkona Sen Sharma: Konkona appeared in ‘Lipstick Under My Burkha’ and gave a gripping performance which will be remembered for ages. Many will argue that Konkona was the lead actress, but we think all the other three actresses were given the equal screen time but Konkona outperformed all. It’s our personal recommendation that if you haven’t watched this film, do watch it for Konkana’s brilliant performance as Shireen Aslam.
8. Nawazuddin Siddiqui: What a year this has been for Nawazuddin, he appeared in a total of 6 films and gave a splendid performance in every movie. Nawaz surprised everyone with his role of detective Daya Shankar Kapoor aka DK in the film ‘Mom’. The suspense thriller film leaves you awestruck and DK’s gripping role will make you respect the actor even more.
9. Tillotama Shome: Many of us might not have heard her name, but believe us, Tillotama Shome is a brilliant actress who deserves a lot more respect and recognition in the industry. Her role of Bonnie Bakshi in the suspense-drama, ‘A Death in the Gunj’ will leave you asking for more. The plot twists in the film are brilliant and Tillotama justified her role with the screen timing she had been provided.
10. Rajkummar Rao: Do we have to tell you about this guy? The year 2017 can definitely be called as the year of Rajkummar. The 33-year-old actor appeared in 6 movies this year and created a special place in the hearts of masses as well as the classes. The one supporting role where he outperformed almost all the actors was Pritam Vidrohi in ‘Bareilly Ki Barfi’. The badass babua changed the definition of supporting actors with his splendid performance and took the entire limelight from the leads. He can be termed as the one man army if we talk about BKB.
Well, these were some of the best-supporting actors of 2017 and we hope looking at their performance in their respective films, these actors may shine in the coming years as well. Tell us if you have some other names in the list of best-supporting actors.
TV actress Divyajyotee Sharma is the Queen of the ad World
The new poster of Soorma marking 2 months to its release out
Amitabh Bachchan celebrates 102 Not Out with his fans and goes Badumbaaa!
Arjun - Harshvardhan Kapoor starrer 'Chavanprash' from Bhavesh Joshi Superhero to be unveiled on Monday!
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan COPIES Aamir Khan's unique Instagram strategy!
Yami Gautam files complaint as someone attempts to hack her social media account
Neha Dhupia and Angad Bedi marry each other
Raazi Review: Thus far the best espionage thriller told in a masterly way
Actor-director R Madhavan at the press conference of Rocketry.
Following Annu Kapoor, Hansal Mehta reveals that he was robbed in France as well
Here’s a look at Neetu Kapoor’s journey as she makes her comeback with JugJugg Jeeyo
Sonam Kapoor says she is excited to watch Anil Kapoor’s Jugjugg Jeeyo; celebrities pour out wishes
Ranbir Kapoor wishes Rishi Kapoor was alive to watch him in Shamshera
Bollywood choreographer Ganesh Acharya granted bail by Mumbai court in sexual harassment case
Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah fame Raj Anadkat to work with Ranveer Singh?
Rapper Raftaar and wife Komal Vohra file for divorce after six years of marriage
Kim Kardashian shares her pimple injecting session with Pete Davidson, and calls it a ‘major bonding thing’