Few Bollywood remakes that created the same magic as the original ones!
‘Ittefaq’ (2017) which is inspired by a 1969 movie of the same name released today. Here’s a list of top 5 Bollywood remakes that left the same impact as their original ones did.
‘Ittefaq’, an Indian thriller movie, starring Sidharth Malhotra, Sonakshi Sinha and Akshaye Khanna and directed by Abhay Chopra released today. The film is based on the 1969 movie of the same name that featured Rajesh Khanna, Nanda, and Iftekhar in the lead roles. Bollywood has been remaking old classics for many years now, but not all of them could do justice to the original film. Having said that, there are some movies in Bollywood that were successfully remade or recreated.
BollywoodMDB brings you the top 5 Bollywood movies that were as successful as the original ones.
1. Devdas (1955 and 2002): Devdas is a film which is based on the novel of Sharat Chandra Chattopadhyay and has been made in several other languages. Dilip Kumar played Dev Babu in the 1955 Devdas and the film also starred Vyjayanthimala and Suchitra Sen in the leads. This Hindi adaptation was such a huge hit that it is still considered as a cult classic movie in Hindi cinema. An attempt to remake the classic was made by Sanjay Leela Bhansali in 2002 when he brought together stars like Shah Rukh Khan, Madhuri Dixit, and Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and made Devdas. The movie when made was the costliest movie in the Indian film history and was blockbuster at the box office. It was India’s submission for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film. It was also nominated for the BAFTA Award for the same.
2. Don (1978 and 2006): The 1978’s Don starred Amitabh Bachchan, Zeenat Aman, and Pran in the leads. It was an action film. The movie was so successful that it is classified as a golden jubilee film by Box Office India. In 2006, Don was remade starring Shah Rukh Khan, Priyanka Chopra, Arjun Rampal, and Boman Irani as the leads. SRK starrer Don was well-received by the audiences and it was so successful that the makers made a sequel to a remade movie. The sequel ‘Don 2’ was released in 2011 and was also a raging success.
3. Agneepath (1990 and 2012): The 1990’s Agneepath was a crime drama that featured Amitabh Bachchan, Mithun Chakraborty, and Danny Denzongpa in pivotal roles. Though the movie was not a box office back then, it attained a cult over the period of time. It was remade in 2012 starring Hrithik Roshan, Sanjay Dutt, Priyanka Chopra, and Rishi Kapoor. This time director Karan Malhotra successfully showed the crime revenge drama and resultantly the film was loved by critics as well as the masses. The remake was a huge hit and collected around Rs. 200 crores worldwide.
4. Chashme Buddoor (1981 and 2013): Chashme Buddoor was a romantic comedy starring Farooq Shaikh, Saeed Jaffrey, Rakesh Bedi, Ravi Baswani and Deepti Naval in the leads. The movie was well received by both critics and the audiences and was a silver jubilee hit. It was remade in 2013 by the same name starring Siddharth, Ali Zafar, Taapsee Pannu and Divyendu Sharma in the pivotal roles. Though this time the movie didn’t match the feat of original one, it was appreciated by the audiences and was declared hit at the box office. The movie gave talented Taapsee Pannu to Bollywood.
5. Judwaa and Judwaa 2 (1997 and 2017): Judwaa (1997) was an action comedy by David Dhawan. Salman Khan, Karisma Kapoor and Rambha played the leads in the movie. The movie, as its name says (Judwaa), had Salman in a double role. The movie was funny, with great supporting and catchy songs by Anu Malik were well received by the masses. Judwaa was 9th highest grosser of that year. David Dhawan rebooted his own movie 2 decades later by the name ‘Judwaa 2’ starring Varun Dhawan, Jacqueline Fernandez and Taapsee Pannu in the leads. Though the story was almost the same as the original one, it got a great response from the masses. Judwaa 2 collected more than 200 crores worldwide and is the highest grossing movie in Varun’s career.
There had been many attempts made by various directors to remake cult hit movies from the past, but most of them failed miserably. There are just a handful of movies that were successfully remade.
|Super 30||70.23 cr|
|Article 15||57.98 cr|
|Kabir Singh||264.74 cr|
|Game Over||11.06 cr|
|PM Narendra Modi||20.95 cr|
|India's Most Wanted||10.90 cr|
|De De Pyaar De||95.86 cr|
|Student Of The Year 2||68.82 cr|
|The Tashkent Files||16.75 cr|