Though 2017 didn’t see many hits this year, it surely was the year of sequels. Almost all the sequels which released this year turned out to be commercially successful at the ticket window. Here is the list of Bollywood sequels, which we can say ruled the year 2017.
1) Baahubali: The Conclusion: Directed by S.S. Rajamouli, ‘Baahubali: The Conclusion’ is the second cinematic part in the ‘Baahubali’ franchise and the sequel to ‘Baahubali: The Beginning’. The film stars, Prabhas, Rana Daggubati, Anushka Shetty, Sathyaraj, Ramya Krishnan, Nassar, and Tamannaah in lead roles. It released worldwide in April 2017 and became the highest grossing Hindi film ever. It is the second highest grossing Indian film and the worldwide collection of the ‘Baahubali 2’ tallied to a mammoth amount of Rs. 1706 crores. Though it’s a non-Hindi film, the Hindi dubbed version alone collected more than Rs. 500 crores.
2) Jolly LL.B 2: ‘The State vs Jolly LL.B 2’ or famously known as ‘Jolly LLB 2’ is a sequel to ‘Jolly LLB’ which released in 2013. Directed by Subhash Kapoor, J-LLB 2 stars Akshay Kumar, Annu Kapoor, Huma Qureshi and Saurabh Shukla in the pivotal roles. The film made a worldwide collection of Rs. 197.33 crores. While the last film managed to collect only around 50 crores, this film turned out to be one of the best movies of Akshay Kumar’s career.
3) Badrinath Ki Dulhania: ‘Badrinath Ki Dulhania’ is a sequel to ‘Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania’ which released in 2014. BKD featured Alia Bhatt and Varun Dhawan in the lead roles and was helmed by Shashank Khaitan. While the previous film was already a successful one, BKD managed to do double the business at the box office. The worldwide collection of the film was Rs. 200.34 crores, which is still considered as one of the career best for both the actors.
4) Golmaal Again: ‘Golmaal Again’ is the fourth instalment in the ‘Golmaal’ franchise. This Rohit Shetty film is a multi-starrer and features Ajay Devgn and Arshad Warsi in the lead roles. While all the previous films in the ‘Golmaal’ franchise were already successful, GA turned out to be a game changer for the entire team of the film. The film collected more than Rs. 206 crores in India and the worldwide collection is around Rs. 308.97. Released in October 2017, the film is still running successfully in the theatres.
5) Judwaa 2: ‘Judwaa 2’ is an action-comedy by David Dhawan which is a sequel to 1997’s Salman Khan’s super-hit film of the same name. The film stars Varun Dhawan in a double role and also features Jacqueline Fernandez and Taapsee Pannu as the female leads. Made on a budget of Rs. 65 crores, ‘Judwaa 2’ did a domestic business of Rs. 140 crores and collected Rs. 227.51 crores worldwide.
6) Commando 2: The Black Money Trail: Directed by Deven Bhojani, ‘Commando 2’ is a sequel to the 2013 hit film, ‘Commando: A One Man Army’. C 2 stars Vidyut Jammwal, Adah Sharma and Esha Gupta in the lead roles. While the previous film managed to collect Rs. 65 crores, ‘Commando 2’ did a worldwide business of Rs. 78 crores.
7) Ittefaq: ‘Ittefaq’ is a 2017 mystery-thriller film, directed by Abhay Chopra and stars Akshaye Khanna, Sonakshi Sinha and Sidharth Malhotra in the lead roles. This is an unconventional film on the list as it is sequel cum remake of 1969’s Yash Chopra’s movie of the same name. Though the movie wasn’t great at the box office, it received rave reviews from the critics thus made it to the best sequels/remakes of 2017. Made on a budget of Rs. 20 crores, the film domestically made around Rs. 28 crores and the worldwide collection of the film stood at around Rs. 51.44 crores.
8) Fukrey Returns: The latest entry to the list is ‘Fukrey Returns’. FR is a sequel to the 2013’s hit film ‘Fukrey’. Released just 4 days ago, FR is doing exceptionally well at the box office. Directed by Mrighdeep Singh Lamba, the film stars Pulkit Samrat, Priya Anand, Varun Sharma, Ali Fazal, Manjot Singh, Richa Chadda and Pankaj Tripathi in the pivotal roles. While the lifetime collection of its previous film was Rs. 36.50 crores, FR has already collected Rs. 32.30 crores over the weekend and will soon hit the 50 crores mark.
9) Tiger Zinda Hai: Shocked? Well, don’t be. We know ‘Tiger Zinda Hai’ is yet to be released, but the movie has still made it to the list. TZH is an upcoming action-thriller film by Ali Abbas Zafar, which features Salman Khan and Katrina Kaif in the lead roles. TZH is a sequel to 2012 super-hit film, ‘Ek Tha Tiger’, which was a blockbuster and managed to collect Rs.199 crores and Rs. 320 crores in domestic and worldwide markets respectively. TZH, which is made on a heavy budget of Rs. 140 crores, will definitely become the highest grosser of 2017 and, therefore, deserves to be in this list in advance. Salman and Katrina, who are busy promoting their film, will enter theaters with TZH on 22nd December 2017.
Tell us which one of the above sequels of 2017 is your favourite.
TV actress Divyajyotee Sharma is the Queen of the ad World
The new poster of Soorma marking 2 months to its release out
Amitabh Bachchan celebrates 102 Not Out with his fans and goes Badumbaaa!
Arjun - Harshvardhan Kapoor starrer 'Chavanprash' from Bhavesh Joshi Superhero to be unveiled on Monday!
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan COPIES Aamir Khan's unique Instagram strategy!
Yami Gautam files complaint as someone attempts to hack her social media account
Neha Dhupia and Angad Bedi marry each other
Raazi Review: Thus far the best espionage thriller told in a masterly way
Rishi Kapoor Interview: I am getting great work and enjoying it
Varun Dhawan Interview: After working with Shoojit Sircar, it feels like I have worked with a good captain
Disha Patani Interview: I’m happy and lucky to be where I’m without any kind of support
Tiger Shroff Interview: I am most comfortable working with Sajid Nadiadwala